Our first outdoor meet scheduled at BCLUW was cancelled so we prepared for the next outdoor meet on April 31 at Union. What an incredible facility and all-weather track. The girls ran fairly well and the weather was just right. There were some nice performances and a good chance for me to see where everyone is at and in regards to conditioning, strength, and mental toughness. We had very little time to warm up and get prepared as we did not get to the meet until right at the start due to bus issues. Highlights of the meet: Long Jump – Rachael Cheeseman jumped 14-06 placing 4th. High Jump – Ellie Stoakes jumped 4-06 and placed 5th overall. The 4X800 Relay team of Sonya Beichley, Lauren Gauthier, Ellie Stoakes and Alyssa Gauthier really ran well finishing 2nd place with a time of 11:35.25. Still figuring out technique on starting blocks the 100 Dash girls did a nice job as well. Mikayla Knaack finished 7th with a time of 14.28. The Distance Medley Team also competed hard and finished 4th place with a time of 4:45.93. The team consisted of Sidney Dilly, Ellie Stoakes, Stephanie Dilly, and Alyssa Christopher. 400 Meter Dash we had 3 great performances. Rachael Cheeseman finished 1st place with a 1:01.00. Abbie Walton ran a tough first year 400 with a 1:10.32 and Mikayla Knaack running her first 400 of the year with a time of 1:13.76. The 4X200 Meter Relay team struggled with handoffs but I only expect these to improve as we get more comfortable with doing them. The team consisted of Britney Keller, Mikayla Knaack, Alyssa Gauthier and Alyssa Christopher. 800 Meter Run consisted of the Gauthier girls. Alyssa and Lauren competed hard and Lauren finished 4th overall. In the 200 Meter Dash we had Stephanie Dilly taking 2nd place and Mikayla Knaack and Alycea Reeder running respectively as well. Sprint Medley Relay Team ran a nice first race of the season finishing 1st place. Team consisted of Britney Keller, Sidney Dilly, Stephanie Dilly, and Rachael Cheeseman. This same team also ran the 4X100 and finished 2nd place overall. The JV Sprint Medley Relay also ran a very nice first time race of the season. This consisted of Jill Schildroth, Alycea Reeder, Lauren Gauthier, and Abbie Walton. The JV 4X100 Relay also did a nice job running but struggled with handoffs. Again, I only expect handoffs to improve as the girls get more comfortable with them. The team consisted of Jill Schildroth, Abbie Walton, Alyssa Gauthier and Lauren Gauthier. The 4X400 Meter Relay also came out and ran tough. Still conditioning needed but they took 2nd place overall. The team consisted of Sidney Dilly, Britney Keller, Stephanie Dilly, and Rachael Cheeseman. Last week we had one meet to prepare for and that was on April 5 at the South Tama Relays. This was a Girl/Boy meet and consisted of 7 girls teams. It was nice to see we had improved and had some new PR’s in some events. Each meet everyone should be meeting new PR’s individually and overall in relay times. As I compared last year’s meet times with this year’s meet times I was pleasantly pleased with where we were at. We are running times almost exactly to what were running a year ago, some even a little better. So we are on target but still have a great deal of hard work to do!!! Highlights of the meet: · The Distance Medley Relay team of Mikayla Knaack, Ellie Stoakes, Abbie Walton and Sonya Beichley finished 3rd place overall. Great job ladies!
· 400 Meter Dash – Rachael Cheeseman finished 1st place with a 1:01.53 time.
· 800 Meter Run – Lauren Gauthier finished with a new PR in the open 800 with a time of 2:56.
· 200 Meter Dash – Stephanie Dilly took 2nd place again with a time of 28.54.
· Sprint Medley Relay and 4X100 Meter Relay of Britney Keller, Sidney Dilly, Stephanie Dilly and Rachael Cheeseman took 1st place in the Sprint Medley and 2nd place in the 4X100.
· 4X400 Meter Relay team consisting of Sidney Dilly, Ellie Stoakes, Stephanie Dilly and Rachael Cheeseman finished 3rd place with a new relay PR.
· The JV 4X100 Relay also had a PR and finished 5th overall. The team consisted of Mikayla Knaack, Abbie Walton, Alyssa Gauthier and Lauren Gauthier. Overall the first two outdoor meets we ran well. We still have a very long way to go in a very short time but I have no doubt that the girls will continue to push and work hard in practice to get to the conditioning level we need to be at. We also need to work hard on the mental aspect of this tough sport and being able to overcome the thoughts of tiredness, pain, etc and being able to push through it and run outside your comfort zone!!