Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

West Marshall’s final act foils G-R By TRAVIS HINES

December 10, 2010
Northern-Sun Print
STATE CENTER - Saddled with foul trouble, West Marshall big man Michael Newton spent most of the first half watching his team scrape by without him. In the second half, he showed everyone what they’d been missing. The Trojans rallied from a fourth-quarter deficit behind a flurry of points from Newton and downed Gladbrook-Reinbeck, 51-47, in the NICL West boys’ basketball opener for both teams on Friday night. Seventeen of Newton’s 20 points came after halftime, and he scored nine straight late in the final frame that helped the Trojans (1-1, 1-0) overtake the Rebels (0-1, 0-1). “He hit some key shots for us down the stretch there,” said West Marshall head coach Dave Shipley. “He’s the guy that neeeds to take those shots for us, and tonight was his night.” Gladbrook-Reinbeck was clinging to a one-point lead midway through the fourth quarter when forward Colby Luethje muscled his way into the paint for a sure score, but West Marshall’s Braydn Beals slid in to take the charge and draw Luethje’s fifth foul while also keeping the G-R lead static. The junior Luethje left the game with a team-best 16 points and left his team without its top interior defender in its 2-3 zone, leaving them vulnerable to the 6-foot-6 Newton. “That was a key play, a key call,” said G-R head coach Scott Kiburis of Luethje’s disqualifying foul. Back-to-back mid-range jumpers by Newton put the Trojans ahead 42-39 with 3:01 to play, but G-R’s Parker Bolt, who finished with 15 points, hit a bucket and two free throws in the Rebel’s next two possessions to retake a 43-42 advantage. But G-R didn’t have an answer for Newton, whose 3-pointer from the baseline 20 seconds later put the Trojans up for good. “He was clutch for them in the fourth quarter,” said Kiburis of Newton. The game was a physical, bruising contest to start, with neither team able to find a rhythm offensively. Gladbrook-Reinbeck was able to stymie and slow a West Marshall team that would like to push the tempo. The two teams grinded out a first quarter that ended in a 10-10 stalement, and the Rebels took a short-lived lead in a second quarter that saw neither team score in double figures before Tysen Streeter’s 3-pointer put West Marshall up at the half, 19-18. Streeter finished with 11 points, Duncan Ferch had eight and Ron Wilkey six for a West Marshall team that will need to establish a second and third scoring threat behind Newton as the year wears on. “We’ve got to have a couple of those guys step up every night,” said Shipley, “because Michael’s not going to be able to do it all.” This night, Newton was able to shoulder the load - for the second half at least. “Just watching the team keep going and keeping it close (in the first half),” said the junior, “just kept pushing me to get back in and play hard.” And neither Newton nor his teammates wavered while staring into a late deficit. “I think our team expected to win, and I think they played like that,” said Shipley.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web